Just a girl who wants to share her "finds" and hope that it inspires you to thrift and to not be afraid to explore your style.


Saturday, July 2, 2011

DIY project - Dining Room Table and Chairs

Some good friends, Earl and Oneka, gave us their dining room table and chairs when they moved to Dallas from Austin, TX.  She upgraded her set to a beautiful restoration hardware table and chairs!!! So RIDIC!  I felt so blessed by  her old set and I was very excited to get started working on this new project.  The set was a brown painted table and 6 brown painted chairs with turquoise cheetah print cushions.  After hours of looking on decorpad.com, I decided to paint everything WHITE! My husband thought I was crazy as he usually does when I first explain my wonderful new decorating ideas to him; however, I promised him that he would love it when it was finished.
Here is a before picture of one of the chairs:

I started by unscrewing all the cushions from the chairs.  Then I sanded everything, primed and started painting.  I chose a high gloss ultra white paint.  Half way through the project, I discovered they make a spray on primer - "Hello spray on primer, where have you been all my life?!?!"  This definitely made the process go faster but be warned that one can does not go far and it cost more.  At the point of my discovery, I no longer cared that it cost more - I was ready to be done priming. Priming seemed like such a tease.  It gives you a glimpse of what it is going to look like but you still have a long way to go. After several coats of paint - I was finally done and recovered the seats with a beautiful blue and cream geometric print that I found at Hobby Lobby for 30% off.  Love a deal!  
Here is the final product of one of the chairs:

I am in LOVE and so is the hubby!  Told ya so =)

I still have a lot of work to do.  I have 3 more chairs that need to painted and I have several coats still left on the table.  It has been a long hot process in my garage but I would say it is worth it.  I will post "final" pics when done.

Total cost of project:
2 cans of high gloss paint = $26
2 cans of primer = $10
3 yards of fabric = $25
3 sanders = $9
Dining room set = Free
Total = $70

Thanks for looking and don't be afraid of DIY projects.  The joy you get from reviving an old piece of furniture is worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lauren! Looking forward to seeing the complete set when you finish... big undertaking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chairs! Found you on DecorPad...your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following Sandra! - decorpad is addicting, isn't it?!?!

    ReplyDelete